Discount Motor City The Best of Used Car Dealerships, Surrey 12882 King George Blvd.
4 min read
9 Tips to Get the Most Out of a Tank of Gas
Do You Want to Save Money? Read these helpful tips from Discount Motor City, the best of the used car dealerships, Surrey, BC.
Summer holiday trips are on the horizon and so may be more gas shortages. More demand, less supply. What will we get? Higher prices. At Discount Motor City, the best of the used car dealerships, Surrey, BC, our passion is helping, whether it is providing exceptional service that will be way beyond your expectations when looking for a quality used car, or helping with your car-ownership experience. Suggesting ways for you to save gas costs is just one of our many efforts.
What is on the Horizon?
With what we have seen so far with gas shortages and prices, summer travel highlights the need to get the best performance out of every litre of gas.
We have seen the price impact because of the Colonial Pipeline cyber-attack, and driving is increasing as people begin to return to work. Add to that, the coming summer travel season and all points to higher gas prices.
We cannot do anything about gas prices, but we improve our car’s performance, lowering the cost per Km, by following these helpful tips.
1. Is the glass half full or half empty? Keep your tank at least half-full. If a shortage occurs in your area, having half a tank of gas will give you the range to look for options.
2. Keep Up-to-Date with Supply and Pricing: Knowing where the gas is, and how much it costs is as easy as searching on your phone. Gas Buddy is a good site to keep up to date on supply and pricing.
3. Package Your Trips: Combine a number of activities if you must drive out. Rather than making four separate trips to do four separate tasks, keep a list of what is needed and do them all in one trip. This can save you considerable gas and time for all those other good things you want to do.
4. Don’t Jerk When You Drive: Drive smoothly. Speeding up, slowing down and speeding up, all point to jerky driving and costing you more money. It is also harder on your car, which equates to higher maintenance costs, and it is also not the most comfortable for your passengers.
Recently, Consumer Reportsmeasured gas mileage while driving steady at 85, 105 and 105 Kms/hr. They found that performance improved by an average of 1.5 litres less fuel used for each 100 Kms traveled. Doing the math, and on an average of 20,000 Kms per year, that could put upwards of $500 into your pocket.
5. Having a Streamlined Car Matters:Roof racks may be a necessity during some parts of the year, but if not needed, removing them can save you money. Almost 50% of engine performance goes to overcoming drag. Adding appendages such as roof racks, may make a car look stylish, it may be functional, but it can sure play havoc on your car’s performance.
Turning to Consumer Reports again, they found that carrying your bikes on the roof of your car reduced gas mileage by upwards of 24 percent and even without a bike up there, gas mileage was reduced by 12 percent. I checked gas prices in Vancouver this morning (May 19, 2021) and the average on Gas Buddy was $1.53/litre. I just cringe, but add to that, the cost of carrying your bike on the roof of your car and the gas cost goes up to $1.90 per litre, or for us who still equate to gallons, that is $8.63 per gallon. We all know the saying, “a fool and his money is soon parted.” I am not putting a roof rack on my car!
6. Skip the Premium: Unless your car requires premium, save money by skipping it. If Premium is required, there will be a notice on the fuel cap door, or check your owner’s manual. If your manual says “recommended,” that means “not necessary, and using a lower grade can save a lot of money.
7. Tire Pressure Matters: I have written before about regularly checking your tire pressure. Tires lose about 1 psi/month. Having tires with lower pressure than what is recommended on your doorjamb sticker can affect performance, tire longevity, and fuel economy. All costing you more money.
8. Only Use AC When Necessary: Using the AC takes power away from your engine, adding to your fuel cost. Can you get by without the AC by opening the window? For me, it all comes down to comfort and being able to stay alert while driving. Nothing is worse than starting to nod off while driving because of a high cabin temperature. There are those times when it is absolutely necessary, but keeping AC use to when it is only necessary can save you a lot of money.
9. Save Money on Your Car Purchase: See Us at Discount Motor City, where you will find the best in used car sales, Surrey, at prices that will save you money.
Discount Motor City, the Best of the Used Car Dealerships, Surrey, BC.
At Discount Motor City, we are passionate about offering you quality and respectful service. Along with our well-appointed used cars, and our great pricing, we deliver a total package to surpass your expectations of exceptional service. Our commitment to you:
1. To listen to what you want
2. To address all your questions openly and with the utmost of honesty.
3. To have ready to show you all the paperwork on any vehicle so you may have a clear picture of the quality of our cars. We never have anything to hide.
4. To provide you with great pricing.
5. To being available to help any way we can after the sale. See us first before you do anything with your car as we can always offer suggestions and get things at great pricing, the savings we pass on to you.
With what we offer at Discount Motor City, the best of the used car dealerships, Surrey, BC, why would you want to buy you’re your next quality used car anywhere else?
Come experience the difference our exceptional service makes to your car-buying and ownership experience and we are always happy to provide expert advice.